This content shows Simple View

Tag Archives podiatrist

What is the difference between podiatry and chiropody?

Posted on by Kara

A chiropodist or podiatrist is a specialised foot doctor who treats people suffering from lower limb or common foot problems including ingrown toenails and bunions. To be honest, there is no major difference between a chiropodist and podiatrist; however people usually confuse the two. This is because podiatry was the new name given to chiropody in 1993. Both specialists are seen and considered as foot doctors in the UK due to having the same qualifications and experience.

Both professions offer you advice on how to take care of your feet and the type of shoes that you need to wear. As well as this, chiropodists and podiatrists treat foot problems and calluses, corns, verrucas, smelly feet, athlete’s feet and cracked heels. Finally, they can help to ease the pain for those suffering from diabetic foot ulcers and diabetic foot.


How do they treat you?                                                   

Chiropodists and podiatrists treat a range of minor and serious foot issues including:

  • Ingrown toenails
  • Calluses
  • Corns
  • Verrucas
  • Smelly feet
  • Athletes feet
  • Cracked heels

They also might give you advice on what shoes to wear or orthotic inserts to help you with your condition. In case your feet are flat or there are high arches in your feet then a chiropodist or podiatrist can provide you with customised support that is suitable for our feet so that you feel comfortable walking and doing daily activities.

Orthotics are a custom made insoles that are used to minimise the symptoms that result from biomechanical problems. These insoles are provided usually to control excessive pronation called fallen arches and flat feet. However they can be useful for many other conditions.

Chiropody Courses in the UK to become a chiropodist

Posted on by Kara

foot health

A chiropodist, who is also sometimes referred to as a podiatrist is someone who keeps feet healthy. Becoming a chiropodist requires a number of simple steps. First of all you will need a degree in podiatry along with this you will need 5 GCSE’s A-C. These must include English, Maths and Biology Science. Of course some of the chiropody courses in the UK do accept equivalents of these qualifications.

After you have achieved the relevant qualifications to become a chiropodist or foot health practitioner you then must be registered to the HCPC. The HCPC is the Health and Care Professions Councils. Once you have been successfully approved by the HCPC you are then eligible for registration to become a foot health practitioner. You are required to retain your name on the register by keeping up to date with industry best practice and paying the annual retention fee.

Hours and Salary of a Foot Health Practitioner

A foot health consult is usually a pretty standard nine til five job although there may be some extra hours as and when needed and some organisations may require different working hours to this. Especially in private sectors where the working schedule is very flexible and can include unsociable hours. The salary for a chiropodist role usually varies depending on experience. A junior or starting podiatrist usually earns roughly between £21,000 and £27,000. As experience grows you could become a specialist and earn up to as much as £34,000.

Who is suited to being a Chiropodist?

This is the million dollar question asked by many. The main thing to consider is do you like feet? If you don’t like feet then being a chiropodist is not for you. If you do like the sound of this field then we would urge you to look into this field. It can be a very rewarding job. Every patient that walks through the door will bring a different problem and it’s your calm reassuring manner which will help get their feet restored to health.